Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Precipitation


It rained today. Not a morning shower, but all day. Literally. Not a moment of the day passed by when water was not falling out of the sky. It's past midnight and today's tommorow - it's still raining. Being from Florida, rain and I are no strangers. When I was a kid we used to joke about how you could set your watch by the afternoon showers in the summer.

I live in North Carolina now, and the rain here is different. Back home, when it rained, the sun still smiled down on you, the rain moved about driven by the wind. You could literally chase the rain, you could watch it come down the street toward you. It was one of my favorite things about Florida. Everything was Sunkissed and no matter where you went, you could taste the salt on the seabreeze.

Here, when it rains, the sky turns gray, and the Sun goes looking for more grateful recipients of its rays. The water slides halfheartedly through the air down to the earth. I don't care for this kind of rain. Don't know why, it just seems foreign to me. Days like this always put me in a bit of a funk. Makes me want to put on some blues and drink bad coffee while writing worse poetry. Days like this, I write morose, droning posts and dream of digging my toes into sand so hot it burns the soles of my feet.

No comments: